The right name will be timeless, tireless, easy to say and remember, stands for
something, and allows for future growth.
Background questions to consider
- Think about your current name: What about it is working? What isn’t working? What is your purpose in changing it?
- Think about your company or product: What does your company or product do? Why does it matter? Who are your audiences (Primary, secondary, tertiary)? What is your company or product’s personality?
- Think about your audience: How are they finding you?
- If a brief name will be more easily remembered and used, what are the essential words to be included? What can be sacrificed for the sake of brevity?
Qualities of an effective name
- Meaningful: It communicates something about the essence of your organization
- Distinctive: It is unique, easy to remember, pronounce, and spell.
- Future Oriented: It anticipates an organization’s growth and change.
- Positive: It has positive connotations and no strong negatives. (Including initials.)
- Visual: It lends itself well to graphic presentation in a logo and on a website.